Tomorrow, Women Superstars Uncensored returns to iPPV with “United” – a show headlined by the two big winners of the last “Queen and King of the Ring” show – new WSU World Champion LuFisto and newly crowned “Queen” Mickie Knuckles – in what will be the Canadian’s first defence of her title. Of course, there’s the added wrench in the machinery that is Jessicka Havok – the previous WSU Champion, who was fired and “banned for life” only two months ago, but who has threatened to show up and intrude on the event. Given that she still considers herself the WSU Champion, a possible showdown with LuFisto (or Knuckles) is on the cards, alongside one with WSU/CZW management DJ Hyde. We will, as usual, be back with live coverage of that show tomorrow.
Unlike most WSU iPPV shows, this time, there’s no “Secret Show” taking place the night before the main event, but thanks to StreamWSU, we’ve been watching Secret Show #3 from the day before WSU Mutiny earlier this year.
As I’ve said before about these shows, these are shows for the hardcore fan rather than the first-time fan. It’s a very rough around the edges show, the venue is a parking garage with two sides of the ring up against walls, wrestlers may or may not have entrance music depending on the whim of the technology gremlins at any time – but for people (like me, and hopefully you) who like these wrestlers already, the Secret Shows are usually a fun way of getting a little more content out of these WSU weekends. In saying that though, this show in particular promised something a little bit special. Following a last minute substitution in the main event of Mutiny (which saw Alpha Female gazump Shanna for the iPPV WSU Title shot), Shanna’s title challenge was switched to this show – making her match with Jessicka Havok the biggest and most important match to date on the Secret Show series. With Alpha Female also debuting on this show, might this be the best Secret Show to date? Let’s find out.
1. Beyond Wrestling Showcase: Shynron pinned JT Dunn with a rana pin.
2. Mickie Knuckles pinned Kimber Lee with a pump handle driver. Jewells Malone made the save after the bell when Knuckles continued to attack Kimber.
— Barbi Hayden cut a promo, explaining that she was above wrestling on this show, as she was a World Champion now (she’s the NWA World Women’s Champion)
3. Santana Garrett & Amber O’Neal beat Nevaeh & Christina Von Eerie when Garrett pinned Von Eerie after a Shining Star Press.
4. Alpha Female destroyed Barracuda Britney, leading to…
5. Alpha Female defeated Jenny Rose via submission (Full Nelson)
6. Athena pinned Hania following an O-Face.
7. Intergender Match: Candice LeRae pinned Chris Dickinson following a Ballsplex
7. WSU World Championship: Jessicka Havok pinned Shanna with a Demon Drop to retain her championship.
• Interestingly the show starts with a men’s match – a Beyond Wrestling Showcase, in fact – pitting JT Dunn vs Shynron. Given Drew Cordeiro’s ownership in both WSU and Beyond Wrestling, it’s probably not a surprise at all to see something like this, as he tries to create a crossover between his two brands. The two guys did a really good job getting the show off to a good start with an athletic match, ending when Shynron pinned Dunn with a rana pin in about ten minutes.
• Next up was Mickie Knuckles vs Kimber Lee. This was predominantly a showcase for Knuckles, who was really magnificent in using her size to dominate Kimber Lee for a lot of this match. Knuckles was in a weird mood, licking things and generally using head games, mixing up strong wrestling and reversals with a more violent style. Honestly, I thought Knuckles took too much of this match, suffocating Kimber at times and dominating her a bit too much – yes, Knuckles had a big match the next day with Jewells Malone, but KL was challenging for the tag titles, and this match didn’t do much for her at all. Knuckles’ pump handle driver ended the match, but Mickie continued to beat down Kimber afterwards with headbutts, eventually drawing out Jewells Malone to run her off.
• Barbi Hayden cut a promo next, claiming that she was too important now she was NWA World Women’s Champion to wrestle on shows like this… eventually this drew out Santana Garrett and Amber O’Neal, which eventually led into the next match.
• Nevaeh & Christina Von Eerie came out to “The Trooper” by Iron Maiden, which ruled pretty hard – and they proceeded to wrestle Santana & Amber in what appeared to be an all babyface match until CVE & Nevaeh kind of adopted that heel role. The match was perfectly fine, if unspectacular, and ended when Santana was able to take advantage of what looked like a Von Eerie miscue on an attempted springboard, hit Sole Food and finished her with the Shining Star Press. With Garrett challenging Barbi Hayden the following afternoon, this was the right finish.
• Next up was a pretty strong showcase for the debuting Alpha Female, taking on Barracuda Brittney (who we’ve seen once before at the Uncensored Rumble). A total squash, ending with a Dominator like finish. This drew out Jenny Rose, who is one of Brittney’s trainers – leading to an impromptu challenge and an Alpha Female vs Jenny Rose match – which resulted in further domination. Rose was at one point thrown into a wall which cracked under the force, leaving a hole. Rose gets in a little offence, such as a crucifix and a spear, but Alpha snuffs her out and wins with a Full Nelson. Superb way to build up Alpha Female ahead of her match with Jessicka Havok, crushing two competitors in a row. Rose totally took one for the team here.
• Hania vs Athena was definitely the most competitive and athletic of the WSU matches on the show. Lots of back and forth action, progressive moves and aggression. Hania’s actual execution is fantastic… everything she does she hits damn near perfectly. Best match on the show, though for me personally it lacked a babyface/heel dynamic. That being said though, this was thoroughly enjoyable. Athena got the pinfall with a crushing O-Face, but Hania left a really positive impact with this match. Kudos all round.
• I was pretty sure I was going to love Chris Dickinson vs Candice LeRae before they had even locked up, and I’m pleased to confirm that my faith was not misplaced. Dickinson is fantastic at working these intergender matches as the sleazy “Dirty Daddy”, and LeRae is super sympathetic and easy to support. Before the match, Dickinson proclaimed that “I am the greatest women’s wrestler EVER… and I don’t even have a vagina!” This was in some ways reminiscent of the Dickinson/Addy Starr intergender matches in WSU, where Dickinson was so totally overpowering his female opponent, rag-dolling them around, and only coming unstuck when the female gets to use technique and leverage. It wasn’t quite as unsettlingly violent as the Starr match, however, and Candice was able to pin Dickinson with a Ballsplex to win the match. Thoroughly enjoyable.
• The main event then… Jessicka Havok vs Shanna… and well, I enjoyed this match but presumably to give Havok as strong a push as possible going into her match with Alpha Female the next day, this was almost all Havok. Shanna played her role really well, but that role wasn’t as a credible challenger for J-Hav’s title – it was as a chickenshit heel who knew she had very little chance against Havok and spent much of the match trying to stay away from her opponent. There were a couple of brief Shanna rallies where she might have pulled off the upset and Chris Dickinson helped out at ringside too, but otherwise this was 90% Havok, finishing things off with a Demon Drop (Air Raid Crash). Post match, there was a confrontation between Havok and DJ Hyde, which resulted in Hyde spitting in Havok’s face and Havok returning the favour. “I am the champion until I say I am done”, quoth Havok, which is interesting considering the state of play going into WSU United tomorrow night.
• The full show on StreamWSU lasted a short 1hr 37mins, so this is a very, very easy (and quick) watch. If you have StreamWSU or are considering signing up, I recommend that if you don’t find the time to watch the whole show, go out of your way to watch Hania vs Athena and Dickinson vs LeRae, while the Alpha Female showcase matches are impressive, if not particularly competitive. As usual, a fun and diverting show. Looking forward to seeing Secret Show #4 debut on StreamWSU soon, I hope.
Photography by Get Lost Photography